Federal Skilled Trades Program

Thousands of skilled workers in Canada invited to stay permanently


  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
  • Meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening)
    • Language : Minimum level for all four abilities
    • English: CLB 7
    • French: NCLC 7
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply,
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
  • Must meet 67 points on the assessment grid to qualify

Eligibility of Skilled Trades for Federal Skilled Trades Program is organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC: and they are listed as follows

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

You must prove that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, which includes important and most duties listed.

If you are not able to prove or show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, your application will be rejected.


Federal Skilled Trades Program does not have any requirements with regards to Education requirement. However, under Express Entry, to earn points for your education, you either need:

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree
  • OR an alternative
  • foreign credential completion and
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. [The report must prove that your foreign education is equivalent to a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary completed certificate, diploma or degree.]

Note: you will be a beneficiary of an ECA if your foreign education is equivalent to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater.

Principal applicant

If you are married or live with a common-law partner who also meets the stated conditions described above, you can make a decision as to who will apply as the principal applicant under the Express Entry.

If one of you is mostly found to be eligible, then that person should apply as the principal applicant.

Be assessed by the province or territory

For you to be assessed you will likely have to go to the province or territory. Also, you may require training and experience from an employer in Canada.

Visit the website of the body governing trades of the province/territory you intend to live and work. Each process is per where you wish to go.

Talk to an immigration consultant today