Saskatchewan-‘the land of the living skies’-is a farmer’s dream and has an excellent program for farmers who want to purchase their own piece of paradise. Owning a farm in Saskatchewan can be rewarding, challenging, and offers a unique lifestyle.
If one is interested in starting any size farm or purchasing an existing farm; Saskatchewan is the place. The rural communities in Saskatchewan are a great place to raise a family and the educational facilities are similar to the largest cities. Everyone in town knows your name and is friendly.
IIBC is capable of facilitating the purchase of a farm or land through its network of professionals, complete all required paper work, provide advice and, offers tours around the province to find the perfect fit. We take great pride in our customer service and want to make the transition as simple as possible.
To be considered for the Farm Owner/Operator category one must meet all of the following four criteria;
1. Available Equity – applicants must provide financial documents showing a net worth of $500,000;
2. Refundable Cash Deposit – applicants must sign a Performance Agreement committing them to purchasing a farm operation in Saskatchewan and make a “good faith” deposit of $75,000 in trust. The cash deposit will be returned to them when the terms of the Performance Agreement are met. The deposit will be forfeited to the province if the terms are not met within two years of landing in Saskatchewan;
3. Mandatory visit to Saskatchewan – have conducted a comprehensive exploratory visit to Saskatchewan of no less than five working days that includes an interview with an SINP representative; and
4. Farm operation knowledge and experience – applicants must provide documentation (e.g. education and training, work experience, financial documents of their previous operations) that demonstrate that they are knowledgeable farm operators. If necessary, this may be further verified by a personal interview with the applicant in Saskatchewan.
Young Farmer Stream
Young farmers are eligible to apply under the farmer category with different conditions than anyone over 40. This category is eligible for people that are under 40 years old, have 300,000 CAD net worth verifiable to a minimum of 80%. Applicants must have 3 years of farm ownership, farm management or practical farming experience supported by evidence. It is important that the applicant provide comprehensive research for a commercial farming opportunity supported by research, consultations or formal course work based on Saskatchewan’s agricultural conditions. The business that is purchased must have a minimum annual revenue of $10,000 CAD per year. In addition, applicants must be able to prove marketable employment skills based on education and experience that allows for supplementing farming income.
Prior to applying you must meet the nomination criteria
1. Expletory visit to Saskatchewan for a minimum of 5 business days.
2. Proof practical farming experience and skills that are relevant to Saskatchewan farming.
3. Make a minimum investment of $150,000 CAD in a new or existing farming operation.
4. Make a good faith refundable deposit of $75,000 CAD into the Saskatchewan Entrepreneur Trust Fund. ($2,500 CAD upon acceptance into the program and 72,500 upon nomination.)